Friday 14 February 2014

Cover Layout




My final flat plan is very similar, almost identical to my final magazine front cover. As you can see I've made a small amount of changes from my plan to my final such as the appearance of my model, I initially was going to have my artists hair curled/wavy but decided against that and instead I made her have her hair straight. My reason for choosing to have her hair straight was only because I didn't want to much attention drawn to the hair so keeping it straight made a more simple look and also I preferred that so when I laid my features on top of her hair, the text would appear clear and not blend into her too much so having her straight creates less of a distraction.  I also changed some of the features on my front cover. I had planned to include way too many features which resulted in me taking some of it out to not make the magazine look over crowded, that was also a point that one of my peers made when giving feedback about my final flat plan, Neran Gurses mentioned to "Try not to over pack the text too much around the image" so I took her comment on board and made the change of removing one or two features to create that space in between each of the texts.

My artist kept her angle of gaze directed straight at us which I had planned for her to do as you can see in my draft plan, and also I had my artist smiling because it related to her bubbly personality and songs she produces are all very positive so I tried to create a link to that as well. I stuck to the the colour scheme that I had chosen to do on my cover which was blue, white and black, I also chose to use three colours instead of the stereotypical variety of  bold bright colours you would often see on a pop magazine cover because first of all the audience I'm targeting my magazine too, is towards a more older mature audience. I decided on moving the blue graphic that I had on my flat plan a little more further down on  my cover jut to replace the space I had when I chose not to include a feature about Florence and the Machine in it. The banner/cover line I had on my flat plan (#1 POP MAGAZINE BEST SELLER)  at the top was placed next to my masthead but the research I did on other music magazine covers their cover lines were always placed above everything else on the magazine cover so that's why I made that change to put the cover line at the top when I was making my cover. The pull quote changed a little, instead of having the text laid out like all the other texts on the cover I chose to make it Italic instead, reason why I did this was to make it more evident that its a pull quote from my artist (the model on the cover). I've stretched out the text at the bottom more to cover more space so the words reach from once side of the page to the other, just so it didn't look oddly placed in the the centre/middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment